Thursday, July 11, 2013

    Tracy, our quilting partner-in-crime, had a birthday this week. We usually have lunch or appys and exchange some fun gifts. We have a spending limit of $5 and since I'm a very poor shopper (or just lazy?) I usually try to make something. We do this at Christmas too. I have to admit, I really love planning ahead and making gifts. There are only 5 of us so I only need to make 4 items. That's do-able, eh? I think so.
Deciding what to make for Tracy was pretty easy- she loves to hand quilt. I opted to make her two drawstring bags in different sizes using This tutorial  and a cute pincushion using this tutorial.
  I like to use crushed walnut shells to fill my pincushions. They give them a nice weight and they don't scoot out from under my pin when I stab at it. You can find crushed walnut shells at most pet stores. They are used for lining lizard beds I think.
    I'm linking up to Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation.


5 comments:

  1. I love the drawstring bags. I'm going to have to venture away from my tried and true purse pattern and make these bags. I especially love the fabric on the larger one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for gift gicing! I love handmade gifts and I love making them too!
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great gift! I'm sure she will really love it. The pincushion is my favorite. I really need to make a cute one for myself instead of using the tomato, haha!

    Thank you so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Kim - I am loving my bags - they are just the right size for what I am doing hear on the boat. They are so colourful that they look nice wherever they are kept. Tonight is our first night with power so I can iron all my Dresen Plates and nothing will hold me up!
    I love the pincushion as it sits so well and is big enough to hold all the pins for this project - it was hard to poke that cute fabric tho!

    ReplyDelete