Thursday, September 26, 2013

Dresden in Progress

Tracy here! A while ago I posted a tutorial on Perfect Circle Applique and it is time to give you the Big Picture of my project. In June a local quilting shop announced a Dresden Plate challenge and the QT's responded with enthusiasm. I thought I might make a small project but once I got going I got the Dresden Plate bug and wanted to make a quilt - a large quilt. I decided to alternate a Dresden Plate block with an Irish Chain block for a light airy look and got started on the Dresden's first. Here is a look at 2 of 18 completed Dresden Plate blocks - they are all hand-appliqued with silk thread and I learned a lot by doing them.
The next thing to do was to design the Irish Chain block - with a clear picture in my mind but a weakness in the drafting department the QT's helped me with my dimensions. I completed a test block and loved how it will set the Dresden Plates 'on point'.
But the large size of the center block didn't give me the delicate look I wanted so I did a test with a nice-patch as the center block and loved the results. Check it out! What do you think?
I made 18 of the cute little 9 patches and next step was to cut 216 - 2 1/2" blocks for the chains. To ensure a balanced but scrappy effect I made 18 piles of 12 - 2 1/2" squares and distributed my colours somewhat evenly. The first fabric 'layer' in each stack might have all the same yellow fabric but the next layer might have 3 different shades of green.
Now I am busy with my piecing assembly line. It is a lot of cutting and piecing but I really enjoy this part and am having a ball.

I'm linking up to Needle and Thread Thursday!
Needle and Thread Thursday.



12 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to seeing these two blocks combined together and placed in the whole quilt. This quilting is so much fun, it is a good addiction. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks QuiltinGal! I promise to share the pic of the pieced top when I get it done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quilt is going to be gorgeous! I think pairing the dresden with the irish chain is a great idea!

    Thank you so much for linking up with Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly - I am so excited to get those blocks on the carpet and play with them - we will be linking up with you and visiting the other blogs as often as we can.

      Delete
  4. It looks great so far. I like the little 9 patch center. Looking forward to seeing it completed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl - I like my little 'dice' too!

      Delete
  5. Awesome! The 9-patch change was a perfect choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the vote - nice to be able to share with you!

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous! I love Dresdens and yours are just beautiful, Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This will be gorgeous! The 9-patch really changes the look of the whole block!

    ReplyDelete